Tuesday, 21 October 2014

Creative non fiction. Place

I stare down at the shiny rocks that lead down into the wide river.
I sit at the very top on soft damp grass as my little legs dangle over the edge. Such an adventure! I shuffle forward, toes stretching my legs down further and further until I can feel the rubber of the water shoes bending slightly from contact with rock.
A small jerk forward and I drop down, landing on a rock and gripping the grass that I can only just reach for balance.
The rock that I chose to land on is smooth but dry, to far up to be even damp from the spray of the water against the rocks below.
I shift sideways this time, my eyes flicking down to the light grey rock at my feet every few seconds as I get towards the edge and balance becomes difficult.
I slowly relax my grip on the grass above my head and lower my hands as I turn away from the narrow strip of earth along the edge and I take a deep breath before jumping, dropping onto a rock that's lower than the others, flatter. I reach out as I plummet, grabbing onto one of the grey lumps that jut into the hole to keep my balance as my foot tries to slip.
The rock I landed on is still grey, but it's covered with silky green that makes it difficult to stand, or it would in normal shoes, but my shoes are made for this! They have just enough grip that I don't slip completely.
A grin and then a careful step forward, constantly grabbing the rocks that line the way as I slowly descend to the last rock, where I grin and cheer, sitting down and listening to the rushing of water over rocks.
Whoever said that listening to rivers is relaxing clearly hasn't been here.
Now that I'm closer to the water I can practically smell it, fresh, not like the water in the sea or the pool, this is how water should be, not polluted by chemicals or salt.
Then I push myself off the rock and into the water all in one motion, shrieking as the icy liquid swirls around me, pushing me forward gently.
I stumble forward before straightening and finding control of my legs again.
I slowly wade out into the river, my eyes angled down, watching as the stunningly clear water swallows me up until I surge forward and down into the water, head ducking under, my eyes going blurry as I look around me at the smaller rocks that line the ground.
With the water distorting it all it seems like another world, but all too soon I have to surface, gasping and spluttering for breath in the cold shade.
Most of the water is protected from the sun, there are tall trees that somehow haven't been dragged off, sheltering it, the occasional leave dropping down into the water only to be whisked away, being pushed under only to surface when it reaches the rapids, a flash of green against the white before it disappears for good.

No comments:

Post a Comment