I sat, feet curled under me, in the corner. My arms were draped over the velour orange fabric of the sofa either side of me.
The TV quiet, droning on in the background,my grandparents voices slightly louder as they talked and I read.
My Nan was sat in her dark green chair, which was situated in the opposite corner to me in front of the sofa, which was too low for her to sit on these days, even with extra cushions.
She occasionally took sips from the small china cup, which had pretty flowers painted onto it. She'd then place it back down onto the dark brown wooden table, a square, which I knew from experience, (My head meeting one of them) had very sharp corners.
My Granddad was stood in the cramped kitchen areas, washing up from a delicious lamb roast dinner.
I looked up from my book when he tucked the plates into the cupboard above his head and tucked the tea towel over the small radiator that just fitted into the corner of the kitchen.
He strode into the living room and stood directly in front of the TV, stretching up to open the cupboard above it, which contained all of their medical things, pills, plasters, anything that they could need in an emergency.
Of course I was never allowed into it.
He reached his hand in and eventually pulled it back out holding a small bottle in his hands, examining it for a moment, a small frown on his lips as he glanced back to my Nan and asked "Did Katie leave some Gaviscon here last time she came? The bottle's smaller than the ones we usually have."
My Nan simply shrugged in response, "How should I know? I'm sure she wouldn't mind you having some if she did."
My Granddad turned it over in his hands once more before nodding decisively and walking the short distance back to the sink and extracting a spoon from the drawer.
I watched him unscrew the bottle and but the lid down on the side before he carefully started to pour the thick gooey looking liquid onto the spoon before once more losing interest and turning back to my book, focusing on the story once more.
Only seconds later, before I even had the chance to turn another page, my attention was jerked back to him when he let out a disgusting retching sound and choked out, "You silly bastard!" loud enough that I'm still sure that everyone outside would have easily heard it.
He repeated it over and over as he spat into the sink, his face twisted into a grimace.
I stared in a shocked silence, frozen, book gripped loosely in my hands as my Nan glared at him, her eyes narrowed.
"What the hell is wrong Vic? she demanded, voice shaking slightly.
At that his mantra stopped, and after he rinsed his mouth out with a glass of cold water, he gave her an annoyed look, "It's bloody Calamine lotion!" as he thrust the bottle towards her.
My Nan went silent at that, staring at the small bottle, which clearly had a pink label on stating that it was, in fact, Calamine lotion and not Gaviscon.
For a moment there was a stunned silence in the room. Then I felt it, at first it was deep in my chest, trapped for just a moment. Despite my desperate, yet hopeless attempts to keep what was bubbling up inside locked away my efforts were in vain, and after a second that seemed to stretch on into eternity, the dam burst.
Giggles erupted from my lips and the book landed on the floor with a loud thud as I brought my hand up to cover my mouth.
With that the quiet broke and my Nan joined me in my amusement, both of us tumbling over the edge and roaring with laughter at his mistake.
No comments:
Post a Comment